Sep 4, 2011

Hair brained Honeysuckles and Randy Wrens...

September has brought me my favourite season. SPRING! and it has well and truly SPRUNG.
You all know of my love of the gorgeous Male Splendid Fairy Wren and his little harem of females. Well imagine my surprise yesterday when I was hacking away at a bush with my new loppers and got caught in the middle of a rumble between not two but THREE male Wrens. Imagine the fat cats excitement too as they swooped close enough to him to be plucked out of the air. Luckily Mum (me) was watching his every move. So now I have three of these beautiful little blue guys to run after with my camera. 


To top that my little honeysuckle has decided to build a nest in a smallish Daisy bush perilously close to the ground. In fact its fat cat jumping height. If said fat cat was so inclined to actually "jump". I am wondering if I should build some kind of barricade around it. Hubby also runs into this bush as well. I really, really don't want anything happening to the nest and I really, really want the honeysuckles to breed there. What should I do? I don't want to scare them away with too much scaffolding around them...but I want to protect them. Or do I just leave it alone?


I shall leave you with an extract from one of my poems...


Spring


...with the spring comes new life
And hope for things to come
When tiny seed breaks through the frost
Kissed by the warming sun

A sweet and heady perfume
Wafts through on gentle breeze
As springtime flowers burst and bloom
Among dappled light of trees

8 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog and sense of humor while trying to beat the heat here in Tunisia. Just waiting for autumn to come, which is always like a second spring except with vicious flies. The lemurs are indeed beautiful.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is what I call a 'POEM'!!! Sooooo good!...And I love the illustration of the fat cat jumping height! LOL You are so funny!!...Please keep them safe. I don't really want to see a post about how many wrens a fat cat can eat!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the birds are aware of the threat of fat cat...perhaps they have a different calculation of fat cat's jumping height. Nature knows what it's doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canada is heading into fall. The northern lights were beautiful last night. Alas though, spring (and its dappled light) is my absolute favourite. *jealous face*
    (I have no idea about the birds. Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MulticoloredPieces Hi! Thank you for your lovely comment :)
    @Poetess aww thanks! I'll try my best.
    @Dan Yeah I know, I just don't want anything to happen to them.
    @Dbs Spring is beautiful here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your poem is beautiful!!!! "Spring" is such an alien concept to me as we are heading into Fall now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Caren. Spring is beautiful here. All the little birdies building nests..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say :)